Monday 16 June 2014

Amputee Legend (Soul Surfer film review)

I'm glad that this movie title popped in my head because I've always wanted to watch this movie ever since the trailer came out back in 2010. I've watched it tonight and it was like one the best inspirational films I've ever seen! In case you're curious, Soul Surfer is a movie about a girl named Bethany Hamilton who has one arm bitten by a shark while surfing and she learns not to give up in surfing. With one arm, it looks impossible to surf in the waves of Hawaii but she is determined to use new techniques on how to balance her body on the waves as well as performing surfing moves.

The trailer can be watched here:


The protagonist is played by AnnaSophia Robb who is from The Carrie Diaries TV series, and I just love that she acts well in the movie. Another familiar actor I find is Dennis Quiad who plays Bethany's father. And also, Carrie Underwood plays Sarah Hill the church youth leader!

So I'm just gonna share what I like about the movie. The entire film is well directed and one of my favourite parts of the film is when Bethany goes on a mission trip to Phuket, Thailand with her church youth group. She takes a break after losing at the surfing regionals in the middle of the film and she has never seen so many desperate victims who have survived from the tsunami in Thailand. She meets a little girl who doesn't smile and is scared of going back to the ocean. There are a line of children sitting at the beach but doesn't dare to step one foot into the water. Bethany decides to convince the girl to try stepping into the water. This touches me the most; she borrows a Thai boy's surfboard, runs to the swash zone, and gestures her hand to ask the little girl to come. Despite the still-scared feeling of the girl who sits on the sand, Bethany runs back to the beach and helps her to stand up. She then helps the girl to lie on her belly on the surfboard and holds the board with her good arm on the water. Sarah and the Thai victims watch with awe as Bethany leads the girl on the shallow waters with joy. And then the kids just rush down to join them with their boards. I mean, this is just a miracle! They are no longer afraid of the water and they're swimming against the waves again!

Another favourite scene of mine is the nationals, and I know that the competition is nerve wrecking and I really have my fingers-crossed that Bethany should win. The antagonist, Malina Birch, pisses me off because she really takes the lead and she doesn't give any other contestants a chance to catch the biggest wave ever. Bethany and Malina are chasing after this huge rolling wave, and then she does something smart. She dives past Malina and dominates the wave with four perfect turns. In fact, she gets the highest score among the contestants! And then, she does an extraordinary thing. She paddles on the quiet waters even though there's no wave approaching. She has this feeling that the next wave is about to come. Even though the time of the clock is running short, she is still paddling hard. I am just surprised when she takes over the biggest wave ever and surfs through a gorgeous tunnel wave. She has this dream before that she passes through a tunnel of ocean water till she reaches out into the light. And it finally comes true; she is surfing through the tunnel and reaching out like a pro. In slow motion. That's just so cool!


The incident when Bethany got attacked by a tiger shark is really heart wrenching! I mean it just looks so real, especially the arm comes off and blood pours out.


Sarah, who is one of my favourite characters in the film, says that something good is going to happen when terrible things happen. It's a Christian value right?When something bad happens, you have to believe that God will grant you with something that will make you feel better. Tribulations happen because that's when people learn to be strong.

One theme that I treasure is inspiration, and Bethany is indeed an epitome of this. In this fan mail scene, Bethany doesn't know that she has inspired a lot of people even though she loses at regionals.
She has set an example to other people that anything is possible if you do something you want to do. She also shows inspiration when she leads the kids in Thailand how to surf as I mentioned earlier. So when it comes to being yourself and showing yourself to other people, you'll never know that you've inspired that person that is looking or knowing you.

This is a really good movie and it seems to be underrated, however, once you watch it, you'll get to learn something. And it's not just a film, it's based on Bethany Hamilton's true story! I wonder if I get to buy her book or something. I love inspirational stories and I think they're important in shaping a person's life. I have a couple more inspirational movies to watch this week: Dolphin Tale and We Bought A Zoo. Have you watched both of these movies? Because I do and I'll watch them for a second time. ;)

Speaking of Bethany Hamilton, I've heard that she will be participating in the next The Amazing Race season!!!! Oh my gosh!!!! She's probably be representing the first amputee to be in the show! I can't wait!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment