Sunday 13 January 2013

Macaron baking+family time =D

Guess what are we doing now? Instead of doing an assignment (which is due this Thursday, I still got time), I bake macarons for the first time with my family, including my cousin Titus and Uncle James' family. We followed a recipe online and boom, we bake successfully a few trays of fine maracon biscuits! Titus gives us orders to add ingredients and do the instructions, while we went here and there getting the steps done. Well I didn't exactly bake entirely, I grab my phone to take pictures XD. But here what I notice. First, beat egg white with sugar until it's solid and fluffy, then use another bowl to sift ground almonds, then mix it with icing sugar. Mix it up before adding in vanilla extract and the egg white mixture. While mixing it up in an appropriate certain kind of way, count the "folds" of the spatula each time it's mixed. After that, pour the batter into a large Ziploc bag. Cut a hole at an end of the bag and squeeze it on baking sheets on trays (little circles). Preheat the oven (I don't know how many Farenheit XD) before putting the trayed macaron batter in. After a few fixed minutes (one and a half or something), turned the trays to the other side and let it bake for another few minutes. In the end, you will see fine brown crusted biscuits. =D

As for the filling, there's a various choice of flavours you can make. Chocolate: melt the butter till liquid then pour it into a bowl of chocolate chips to melt them. If they still doesn't melt, put it in a microwave oven for 10 seconds. Keep doing this until all chocolate chips are melted. When it becomes a creamy paste, there you go! =D Chocolate filling for macarons. We also try to do lemon and jam filling, but I didn't pay attention to the ingredients. XD

Anyway, we have our first try in making macarons and we succeed! In fact, I think ours is better than the ones outside. This would be a once-in-a-lifetime family baking activity, I think, but maybe there will be other chances for us to bake something. We have Titus the chef master here, so we can learn some new recipes from him. =D Ah..family gatherings.



No comments:

Post a Comment