Thursday 10 January 2013

Revised poems

Before I delete the poems from my pen drive for spaces this semester, I would like to share the revised poems with you here on my blog. Hopefully one of these will be published in the Creative Writing anthology.

Church Camp (revised)
I saw
from a corner of the room
a dark black creature,
the size of a human palm
scurrying around.

At first
I thought I was imagining things
or perhaps all I saw
was a giant cockroach.
5 minutes passed by
and the creature sneaked towards my chair.
A dust-colored rodent
with dark eyes,
the size of peas,
and long white whiskers,
 camouflaged on the bright carpet floor.
The pest
hurried under the rows of chairs
and towards the podium
where the pastor was giving a testimony.

There was a silence
like as if the world seemed to freeze.
Shrill screams vibrated my eardrums
as everyone dashed into their dormitories
for safety.
The pastor hurriedly snatched an empty box
from one a side of the room
and trapped the little devil inside.

That rat
ruined the night.
I’m sorry to say this
But the rat
is an animal that I find
worthless and disgusting,
deserved to be killed.


Rapunzel (revised)
You live in a tower
far away hidden in the forest.
I wonder
how on earth do you get
70-foot-long
glossy golden hair.
I wonder
have you ever tripped over your locks?
How do you wash your hair?
Does it take hours to soak every strand of it?
And most of all,
How long does it take to brush its entire length?

You are a mistress of numerous talents,
I must admit.
Your paintings on the tower walls take my breath away.
Is there any more room for your future displays?
Your angelic voice takes my breath away.
Will you be performing in public?
Your freshly-baked pies force saliva to drool from my mouth.
Have you thought of owning a diner?
Your ability to climb and swing with your hair causes me to stare in awe.
Is there any chance for me to go on an adventure with you?

You’re locked up
for 18 years.
Aren’t you feeling restless?
Haven’t you inhaled fresh oxygen released by trees?
Do you know that there is a lot more things to discover out there?
How do you get so slender
while being grounded the whole time?
Haven’t you raced on green pastures for a while?

Rapunzel,
why are you being so stubborn?
All these years,
your mother is filling your brain
with lies!
Myths and fables that only little children believe.
I dare you to escape from the tower
because I can see through those
desperate, curious green eyes of yours.
And soon,
a real adventure is about to approach,
through the only window.

Secondary School Days (revised)
My fingers ran on the pages
of one of my high school yearbooks.
A flashback of the school appeared in my head
that brings nostalgia.

The classrooms and laboratories
where I was drawn to a wide galaxy of learning,
grasping the values of discipline and responsibility
and earning the power of hard work.
The field and courts
where I gained skills in sports
and cheered for my respective team in matches.
The hall
where I was indulged in the same announcements
every single Mondays,
bored and restless
till my head yelled, “Get me out of here!”

The stern principal
who carried a bamboo cane everywhere he went,
barking at mischievous boys who liked to break the rules.
The wonderful teachers
who burdened to help me to reach the goal
as well as treated me as a second child.
The unforgettable times I had with my dear friends,
each and every moment of fun and laughter
and the emboldening smiles
which gave me strength every day.

As I take one last glance
at my senior year class photograph
and the autographs of my friends
at the back of the yearbook,
the bittersweet times sweep me away
like a strong gust of wind.
Those days will remain
until the end.

 Malaysian Sunset (revised)
The golden sun sank down between the islands.
Hues of ruby, topaz, and amber
illuminated dimly in the sky.
Its mirror shone on the surface of the ocean.
Sapphire waves tumbled against each other
before diminished by the seashore.
Shortly the circle vanished,        
saying goodbye to the world.

I gazed at the scenery in wonder.
Warm wind blew gently against my face,
as I drew in fresh air.
This postcard view lays in my mind.
I wish I can return home
And watch it once again.




For You, Best Friend (revised)
Dear best friend,
I know it has been a while
since I write a postcard
or a birthday card
to you.
I would like to thank you
for the videos you’ve sent me,
telling me that you’re doing okay.
And now
here is what I have to say.

I’m doing fine,
stuck in the tremendous college pressure,
but I’m surviving.
Every day,
I think about you.
The memories
of you and me
are still in my mind.

Do you remember
the sleepovers we had
once or twice every year back then?
Can you still recall
the places we used to go
to hang out and chill?
Do you remember
the last words
you whispered to my ears
before I left my hometown?

That day,
when I watched you
left me behind,
I couldn’t hold back my tears
much longer.
Yet
I promised you
that I would stay strong
and I would never forget about you.

I miss your sarcasm and your jokes
that makes me laugh so hard.
I miss your emboldening smile
that encourages me to try my best.
I miss the embraces you give me
that cheers me up.
I miss you,
dear friend.
I wish you were here with me
right now.








No comments:

Post a Comment