Sunday 31 July 2016

Modern Prince (Chapter 7: Fault)

Chapter 6 recap: Jordan arrived at Phelia's house after she tucked Craedon in. She argued with Jordan that Craedon was a human, but Jordan snapped back that Craedon/ Joo Yoon was a book character. She told him to leave and wouldn't want to see him again. Days passed, she got to know Craedon more. He even get to try new food including Phelia's Subway sandwich. Phelia took him to Long Beach where they had fun chasing each other till they got wet. Phelia confessed that she'll always be Craedon's and Craedon felt the same way. She made a move, enjoying that moment. Everything turned out well when suddenly she read an unknown chapter near the end of the notebook and realized that it was from Craedon himself. She saw Craedon's hand disappearing, grabbed it but went back to normal once he woke up. He hugged her, telling her that he was okay which hurt her. 

Modern Prince
Written By: Michele Hii
Chapter 7: Fault

"Oppa..." I breathed.
He had been holding me for about two minutes. He planted a kiss on my head which made my heart ached even more. If he wrote those lines in my story, he had changed the whole thing. Because since I was the one who created him to love Seul Eun, I had to carry on with my purpose of making him falling in love more with her. Unfortunately, I ditched my responsibility as a writer of that novel and made him as my own instead.

"Do you want to sleep with me tonight?" his husky voice was like music to my ears but poison to my heart. I looked at his chest exposed from his shirt and then back at his face. His eyes hypnotized me once more and his lips urged me to kiss him. I wanted to forget the pain and just cuddle in his arms, or just to make love with him if I were brave enough to break my oath of not losing my V-card till after marriage. However, anxiety still pushed its way deep down in me. I wanted to make him live. I wanted him to be in the right place.
"Phelia?" he lured me again with his oozing hotness. He brushed hair off my eyes. I could feel my eyes getting cloudy. I imagined him rocking me like a baby as I bawled my worries off.
"I'm sorry." I finally stammered, "I have to go."
"Go? Go where?" he exclaimed. I couldn't stand seeing his furrowed brow.
"To somewhere nearby." I replied, "Don't worry, I won't be out for too long."
"Oh...okay." he said, "You sure you okay?"
"Y...yeah." I held back my tears and caressed his right cheek. I then scrambled back on my feet, grabbed my purse, and walked to my car.

                                            *                         *                                *
As I looked through the store window, it was pitch black. Only a small candle was lit up at the front.
The flickering flame showed a black hoodie with no face. I was surprised to see that the door was still opened.
"Madame Cyprine?" I called.
"Who's there?" a stern voice bellowed. I shivered as it reminded me of the Red Queen's 'off-with-his-head' order from Alice in Wonderland.
"I...it's me...Phelia."
"Oh!" the flame showed the person pulling the hoodie down and the lady's surprised face appeared, "Phelia dear! What brings you here at this hour?"
"Things get worse, Madame Cyprine!"
"What do you mean?"

I opened the notebook and flipped to the page where the mysterious paragraphs were printed and handed it to her.
"Somehow these appeared on paper without me knowing."
She scanned the oddly neat handwriting with her reading glasses before looking back at me, "You've been dragging him with you all along, haven't you?"
"I didn't mean to! I just can't leave him alone. I just want to help him to fit in here."
"Phelia, you know that if he's influenced by the 21st century, he'll create his own memories. And he'll lose his personality as your fiction character."
"I forgot all about it until I found this. I wonder if there's a way to stop from continuing this story."
"There's no other way, Phelia. The only way to break the spell of Joo Yoon is to finish the story."
"But I don't want to finish the story! I mean I don't want him to go back. I want him to be a human here. If I want him to disappear, how am I suppose to finish it once these new paragraphs are formed here? It's not part of my story."
"Exactly!" she slammed her hands on the table, "It's too late for you to complete the story the way you want because he's taking over. He's now dominant because he has blossomed into someone different. Someone who is no longer a prince but a commoner."
"He's not a commoner. He's..." I paused, "my first love."
"You have no idea what you've turned him into, young lady."
"I know." I panicked, "That's why I need you help."
"There's no way I can help you in a situation like this, Phelia." she shook her head.
"But you know magic, right? You've got to have some sort of spell to remove these lines or something."
"I'm sorry, I don't know a single spell."
"Then what can I do?"
"Well there's only one way...Stay away from him."
"But I can't."
"And why do you say so?"
I looked at the notebook, "Because I don't want to leave him alone."
"So you would rather stick with him till he writes more of his feelings in your story? Till his memories as a prince is erased away?"
"Well...I..."
Before I could find words to argue back, her hands crept over a cloth which she pulled down to reveal a crystal ball. As I spotted the clouding sphere, I watched as it revealed Craedon sleeping.
"What...what is that?"
"This," she stated, "is my spy gadget. I've been watching you and him the whole time."
"You did what?" my eyes widened.
"I've been making sure that you don't involve him in your life, and I thought you're a trustworthy girl. But I was wrong." she waved one hand over the crystal ball and it revealed a film of events from that moment I drunk-kissed him to the unforgettable kiss we shared at Long Beach. All I could do was stare at it in shock.
"You stalked us this whole time?" I exclaimed, "Why would you do that?"
"To keep an eye on whether you use the notebook properly. It seems that you've underestimated the conditions of using the notebook's magic."
"I...I just...."
"Hush." she stopped, "This is the final warning. Stop hanging out with the prince. Even with these new lines, you have no choice but to finish the story and bring him back into the fiction world...before more of his new memories appear in the notebook. If not, he'll won't be a fiction character any longer of even survive here in the human world."
"No..." I stammered.
"Oh yes," she nodded, "The notebook has powerful magic, sweetie. It can go out of control if you don't know the conditions of using it."
She pushed the notebook back into my grasp, "Complete this novel of yours, or you'll be sorry."
I opened my mouth but I didn't speak. My feet automatically turned back to walk out of the store. I could feel hair sticking out on my skin as I sensed her glaring at me.

                                 *                               *                                 *
"You okay, Jagi? You looked upset." Craedon asked. His face was super close to me. I could tell that he wanted to kiss me to wipe my frown away.
"I'm okay." I mumbled, backing a little.
"You sure?" he came even closer till his lips briefly brushed against mine. I gently pushed him away, "I'm just not in a good mood right now, okay?"
Craedon sighed. He rubbed my shoulder, "Can you tell me what happened? Whenever you're ready."
I want to tell you, but I can't...I don't want to get you in any more trouble.
"Phelia?" he looked at me like I was really sick.
"Oppa." I gave a small smile and dragged his hand from my shoulder. I held it tight while looking into his eyes, "Now's not a good time to talk, okay? I promise I'll tell you when it's the time. Just give me a moment, okay?"
"Okay." he nodded.
"Come on. Bobby is waiting for you."

We held hands as we made out way to the front doors when suddenly a lady approached opposite us. She tripped and fell on the floor. The stack of files she was holding scattered all over.
Craedon and I looked at each other and then back at her. We hurriedly went to help her.

"Are you okay?" Craedon asked as he squatted down.
I collected the files when suddenly I recognized the fiery red hair and the sly green eyes. Her face lit up when she saw Craedon helping her to get up.
"Oh! I...I'm okay." she stammered.
I winced when she wrapped her arms around his neck as he helped her up. She batted her long fake eyelashes at him, wanting to tease him with her dolled up face.
"You're so kind, cutie. Thank you." she said sweetly.
"Your welcome, ma'am. And uh...you can let go now." he pointed out.

She still wouldn't release her grip. I could feel steam coming out of my head.
B****, hands off my man, will ya? 
Close to a minute, and she was still glued to him. I stepped in and pushed one of her hands down. She switched her gaze to me. This time, she eyed at me with a scowl.
"Oppa." I announced with my best aegyo voice and grabbed his hand. Tight.
His face softened as he pulled me into a hug. I peeked at her who seemed to be breathing hard like a bull, but instead of storming off, she calmed down in an instance and took the files where I had arranged them back on the floor.
"See you around." she smiled and walked away.
I could picture myself attacking her with lighting bolts. Thank God she left!

"Well well well! Here comes Mulan and Shen!" Bobby beamed.
"Cut it out!" I laughed.
"Sup, Bobby!" Craedon smiled.
"Hey! Sup, prince!" he fist bumped with him, "Someone's speaking like a normal American right now."
"Well it all thanks to my girl." he chuckled, putting his arm over my shoulder.
"Let me guess. You want me to keep an eye on him again?" Bobby asked.
"If it's okay for you? I'm just gonna attend the meeting."
"A meeting? For what? I thought you guys have finished working the film."
"It's Jordan's orders. I obviously can't ignore it."
"Okay. Just leave him to me, Miss Song." he nodded, "Come on buddy!"
"I'll see you later okay?" I reached out to ruffle Craedon's hair.
"Okay." he smiled.

I made my way to the conference room and sat at a far end of the table. It was only 20 seconds before the meeting started, but to my surprise, Jordan entered in. He had the cold expression like the last time I saw him, but this time his eyes were a strange tint of red. Like he was possessed by a devil. At first I was wondering if he hadn't had enough sleep these few days.
"I have this idea," he began, "of making a new film."
"Already?" I could see the entire staff's eyes bulged in shock.
"But we haven't even released "The Sapphire Key" yet." I raised my hand.
"So what? I'm thinking of replacing it."
"WHAT???" we all stared.
"Replace with what?" Lilly, the sound technician asked.
"What if," he tapped his fingers rhythmically on the table, "we make a movie about a fiction character who is turned into a human?"
I almost choked on the saliva I just swallowed. The rest continued to stare in confusion.
"And I know a person who would be the perfect star for the role, Craedon," he suddenly turned his gaze on me. My whole body was not only fidgeting with fear, but also with rage.
"Why would you come up with such an idea?" I stood up and shouted.
"Why not?" he shot back, "I thought it would be a great idea if people get a documentary of a prince from a novel who is brought alive by magic."
"Jordan, I object." I marched forward and glared at him.
"Why? You have no right to oppose because I'm the director."
"But I've known you for years, and I know that you'll never do something as reckless as this."
"What's going on?" another one of the staff frowned.
"Silence!" Jordan boomed.

No one spoke a word. The humming of the air-conditioner filled the room.
"Why can't we just release 'The Sapphire Key'? We've worked so hard on it for about two years." I said.
"It's a piece of s***." he snickered, "Plus I no longer have interest of investing a movie of a boy saving a kingdom. That's boring."
"What are you talking about?" I shook my head, "We've been dreaming on working on this movie since we were in college remember?"
"I don't care." he laughed, "That was the past, Phelia. I care about money. And money comes from extraordinary, exciting stories. Like when you know, the guy you're currently dating, is from the novel you're writing in your notebook."
My head was whirling with insane thoughts of stabbing him with a pocket knife or something. How could he ever expose one of my secrets? Or even so, a big part of my life?

"Jordan, for the love of God, please..." I said calmly, "Don't do it."
"I'm sorry, are you confronting me again?" he raised his eyebrow. He stood up and folded his arms, "Guess the only way to stop you from talking is to kick you out."
"Huh?"
"I don't want to see your face anymore. Get out of the studio." he pointed to the door.
"W...what?" I blinked.
"You heard me." he said, "You're fired."
Those words hit me like a cannonball. I couldn't explain the way he acted in front of me. Everyone in that room just stared at us like dummies. No one dared to defend me.

"Everyone." he announced, ignoring me who was still standing a few feet away, "I would like to introduce you to a new colleague who will be joining us for this new film project. Cynthia, come on in."
The door swung open and the lady with red hair swooped in like a queen. I watched as she stood next to him with a wide smile.
"Cynthia will be joining us as the new animator and scriptwriter for the film." he continued, "I hope she'll be a good addition to our team."
"Nice to meet you all. I can't wait to work with you all." she flashed her white teeth.
I couldn't believe my eyes. He just ditched me and had this lady who had been flirting with Craedon twice as an "upgrade" for his team. And to my surprise, she even clung onto Jordan's arm and kissed his cheek. What the hell....

"Jordan..." I uttered.
"Why are you still here?" he snapped, "Get the f*** out of here!"
"Jordan, " I wouldn't budge, "Why are you doing this? Do you hate me this much?"
He looked at me for a moment before spilling out, "Guess you've got a taste of your own medicine."
I looked at him blankly.
"Don't you get it?" he continued, "I can't stand seeing you being with your prince all the time. You ignored me for so long, and so I thought I would give up on liking you or even being your friend."
My jaw dropped.
"Besides, I saw you with him several times. You were so happy with him. So happy that I thought you've forgotten about me."
"Jordan," I said, "That's just silly. Just because I'm close to Craedon lately, doesn't mean I no longer wanna hang out with you."
"I don't wanna hear your excuses." he scoffed, "Just go and be happy with your puppet."
"He's not a puppet!" I growled.
"Oh yeah? He was born in the flesh by magic, not naturally. Why don't you just leave and live happily ever after with the man whom you don't have the courage to tell him the truth? That you merely buy that notebook just to create your little fantasy of a spoiled prince who happens to fall in love with a pathetic helpless romantic like you."
My right hand was formed into a fist, urging me to punch him. And I didn't even care that I would do it in front of my colleagues. Suddenly, I heard running footsteps from the door. The room was quiet but clomping of a pair of sneakers echoed from the hallway. As I opened the door, Bobby Allen was standing in front of me.
"Bobby?" I gasped.
"Miss Song," he gulped, "Craedon...uh...he was here and ...he heard your conversation."
Oh no....he did not...
"He ran off seconds ago. I was about to call him when you opened the door."

I poked my head out. Panic rose throughout my entire body.
"Oppa..." I murmured.
Without looking at the others, I grabbed my stuff and sprinted. And I didn't care if my heels started to form red marks around my feet.
This is all my fault...

No comments:

Post a Comment