Wednesday 20 July 2016

Modern Prince (Chapter 5: A New Makeover)

Chapter 4 recap: Jordan caught up with Phelia and Phelia decided to tell him about the prince. They went to check on the prince in Phelia's house. Joo Yoon broke one of her expensive plates and didn't wanted to clean the mess. Phelia ended up doing it and had an idea of making the prince to get a taste of his own medicine in the second chapter. She wrote him breaking a plate and he had to pick up the pieces with the new chef. After writing the story, the prince woke up just in time. She took him to the nearest park where they would be relaxing with soju. Phelia felt sorry for Joo Yoon because of his limited memories. As they got drunk, she taught him how to approach to the new chef whom he had a crush on. She kissed the prince and it encouraged him to do the same when he met the new chef again.


Modern Prince
Chapter 5: A New Makeover
Written by: Michele Hii

I woke up with rays of sunlight that nearly blinded my eyes. I suddenly felt a heavy load on my right shoulder. As I turned my head, I almost screamed. The prince's head was resting on my shoulder! 
Wait..what day is today? Please don't tell me I drink soju on the night before a weekday. 
"What time is it now?" I asked myself. I reached out for my handbag from the back seat. I heard him groaned as he almost hit his head on the gearshift lever.
"Wha...what's going on?" he mumbled. 
"Holy s***!" I yelped. I couldn't believe when a text from Jordan was the first thing that appeared on my phone, 
Hey! Whr r u? Meeting's in 15 min!
"Today's Monday??? Oh hell no!" I started the engine. 
"Something wrong?" the prince exclaimed. 
"I'm gonna be late for work!" I replied, driving back home in a race car's speed. 

Jordan, cn u notify d team tat I'll b thr 5 min late? Thx!
I prayed that he received my text. Once I arrived, I dashed upstairs and changed into a white blouse and a black blazer that matched my work pants. Here came multitasking. Gobbling a blueberry muffin while waiting for my detox water bottle to be refilled from the drinking water tank, and then combing my hair while rinsing my mouth with Listerine for 30 seconds. Heck, there wasn't even time for putting on makeup!
"Your Majesty!" I yelled as I put on my heels, "You'll have to stay at my house today, okay?"
"For how long?" he poked his head behind the wall.
"Till 3pm."
His eyes widened as he glanced at the clock from the kitchen counter, "That's too long."
"Well, don't you stay in the palace all you life?" I grabbed my keys.
"But not anymore..." he pouted, "Can I at least go with you?"
"You want to follow me?" I asked in surprise, "But it's work. It's full of people and distraction."
"That sounds interesting."
I twisted the doorknob and opened the door slightly. I felt a tug on my sleeve and winced at the sight of the spoiled man looking at me with puppy-dog eyes.
"Your Majesty, I'm gonna be late for work." I pleaded.
"Please, Phelia! Let me go with you!"
"It's best for you to stay here..." I paused and stared back, "How do you know my name?"
"Huh? I don't know. Your name just came to me."
I shook my head and sighed, "Okay okay fine....but you better not cause any trouble."
"Oh! Thank you thank you so much, Phelia!"
How on earth did he got my name? Gosh...I still can't remember what happened last night. Hold on...drinking soju in the car...at the park...and then I demonstrated a kiss by....OH HELL NO! 
Still, I got in the car with him on the passenger seat.

                           *                                        *                                       *
Five minutes left! Thank God that there was a parking space at the front row. After killing the engine, I took the prince to the security desk where Bobby Allen, the olive-coloured skin watchdog, would greet every staff with cinnamon rolls. Every Thursday, he would go to IKEA and bought a few plastic boxes of cinnamon rolls before work. And then, he would passed one to every staff who walked through the front doors.
"Ay! Phelia! Good morning!" Bobby Allen waved and handed a box with one last tasty treat.
"Hey, Bobby! Can you do me a big favour?" I gushed and grabbed it.
"Sure, anything for you, friend."
"Great!" I smiled in relief and pushed Joo Yoon to the back of his desk, "I need you to keep an eye on Joo Yoon here. Just for today."
"Is he a relative of yours?" Bobby questioned.
"Well...he's a friend of mine. I just need you to take care of him until I finish work."
"So you want me to be his babysitter for seven whole hours?"
"If that's okay for you."
"Phelia, I'm working for four hours only today. Edith's gonna take over later."
"Oh...Edith huh?"
"Yeah, and you know how much she hated babysitting."
Ah right. Edith's a 50-years-old single with grey hair that tangled a lot when she combed it. She even had the voice of an angry Edna Mode. Well...close enough.
"Okay, how about I can just leave this fellow with you after my meeting is done?"
"Deal!"
"Thanks a lot, Bobby!" I bowed gratefully before charging to the elevator.

One minute left! Fudge!
The elevator doors reached to fourth floor. Running as fast as my freaking heels could lift me off the floor, I passed a few doors before pushing the door of the conference hall open.
The first thing I saw were eyes. Eyes filled with surprise and somewhat disappointment.
I looked at the time on my phone while gasping for air, "Hey! I made it! I did say five minutes late right?"
"You did?" Jordan raised his eyebrow.
"Huh?"
"The meeting is at 8am. We always have a morning meeting at 8am." he stated.
"But...I texted you that I'll be here five minutes late."
"I don't usually check my phone before the meeting, Miss Song." he rolled his eyes.
"Well...I'm sorry, okay? It's just that something happened. I promise I won't be late again."
"You better." he mumbled.
Did he just scolded me for being late? I think he had his boss mode on a little too extreme today...

The meeting was usually smooth and lively with loads of ideas to share. But today, and oddly today, the meeting was as cold as Elsa's powers.
"Are you all ameteurs?" he snapped, "Do you think the audience will like a slight blur or jagged line in the animation?"
We all just zipped our mouths and stared at our clasped hands on the table.
"No, right? Then how come I see this?" he tossed a stack of copies with our finished animation like he was attacking someone with a grenade, "This is crap! I want you all to correct these frames again. Am I clear?"
He then stormed off and slammed the door. We stared at one another, dumbfounded. Jordan was definitely not himself today. I wondered if I should talk to him.

As I walked out, my peripheral vision caught the prince looking uncomfortable. A lady with bright red curls talked to him with a flashing smile. She looked friendly, but he was stepping a few inches away. She tried to consult him again by coming closer till her body almost touching against his.
"Phelia!" Joo Yoon waved and sneaked away right before she ....
"What are you doing here?" I asked, eyeing the lady who looked back at me with a frown.
"Miss Song!" the security guard ran towards us. His whole uniform was stained with sweat.
"What did he do, Bobby?" I asked.
"Oh, Phelia!" he stopped and panted, "You have no idea! This dude keeps asking me for this thing called shikhigh because he's starving."
I noticed the prince rolling his eyes and mumbled, "It's pronounced sikhye."
"And I offered him one of my muffins but he refused to take a bite of it. I even ordered him pizza because well, who doesn't like pizza? He didn't want to eat pizza either, I forced him a little by holding a slice close to his mouth but he shoved it away and it fell on the floor. He wasted one of the goodness of life!"
Joo Yoon swept dust with his feet as he stared down guiltily.
"I see," I sighed.
"He then yelled in the lobby for your name for I don't know how long. I gave up and told him that you're in the conference room here but I warned him to wait near the door. Good thing he obeyed me this time." Bobby continued.
"Thank you, Bobby. You've watched over him, that's all I asked for." I smiled and fished out a 10 dollars from my purse, "Here."
"Oh my God! You don't have to!" Bobby shook his head and stepped back.
"Please! Just take it, Bobby. It's a hassle to take care of this guy, anyway." I giggled.
"Well...if you say so." he shrugged and took the bill.
"You've worked hard, Bobby." I smiled again, "See you tomorrow!"
"Thanks a bunch! See you!" he waved.

"You look upset, Phelia." Joo Yoon observed.
"Huh?"
"Did something happened?"
"Oh...I just had a bad meeting."
"How bad?"
"It's just that Jordan scolded us. It's no big deal."
"The guy with blonde hair? But he's a nice guy."
"He's just not himself today." I gave a sad smile, "You know what? Come on!"
"What?"
"We're going out."
                                     *                          *                       *
I couldn't help but laughing softly at Joo Yoon who spun around slowly like a revolving door as he looked at the racks of clothes.
"What is this place?" he asked.
"This, Your Majesty, is a clothing store." I winked.
"Never heard of it before." he mumbled.
"It's not a bad thing, Your Majesty."
"Bad? I feel like my eyes are going to be blind by all these...whimsical...colours..."
"Look," I put my hands on my hips, "The reason why I brought you here is to give you a makeover."
"A what?"
"A makeover. You know, giving you a whole new look."
"Why? What's wrong with my clothes?" he exclaimed, smoothing the silk of his hanbok.
I lifted a part of his right sleeve and dropped it like a banana peel, "No one wears a hanbok normally, Your Majesty. Especially here in America. Besides, people think that you're dressing up for Halloween every day or something."
"Halloween?"
"Never mind. Just...try this on!" I sighed and shoved a pair of black pants and a biker jacket right onto his hands.
"You want me to put...these...on?" he cringed.
"Come on! Just go!" I ordered, dragging him to the dressing room area, "I'll be waiting here outside."

While waiting for the prince to change, a notification popped on my phone.

Jordan: Hey! What movie you wanna watch tonight? 

Huh...he sounded normal now. Maybe I should ask him what caused him to act like an ogre this morning.
As I was about to reply, I heard a groan behind the wooden door.
"I look ridiculous!" he whined
"Just come out! If you don't look good it that outfit, I can give you a new one."
"Nothing fits me except for the hanbok! I look empty without my own clothes!"
"Your Majesty, trust me, when you find your new look, you won't feel empty at all."

I tapped my foot on the floor for ten seconds. The door slowly creaked open and out came him in badass black, like a warrior. Unfortunately, it didn't suit his baby face.
"No." I shook my head, "Hold on, Your Majesty."
He sighed but folded his arms as he leaned back against the wall.
I searched at the right section and spotted a Warbler-style jacket that came with a white collar shirt underneath. And then alongside the next rack was a row of light brown trousers.
"How about this?" I asked, tossing the set of clothes to him. He said nothing but closed the door. Minutes later, he walked out as a Blaine Anderson doppelganger. However, I wouldn't want him to look like a student since he's around my age.

I was about to give up looking for more when suddenly a dark blue tee sticking out from a shelf hidden in a corner. And from my peripheral vision, I found a pair of white khakis sandwiched between a row of yellow and grey ones.
"Try this, Your Majesty!" I said, handing the shirt and pants to him. I was distracted by the posters that accompanied the beige wallpaper when suddenly a handsome Joo Yoon appeared in front of me. I was pretty much frozen right at the spot. His face was practically glowing with the soft fabric of the shirt and loose pants.
"This...is what I'm talking about." I smiled.
"What?"
"You look good in this!" I showed two thumbs-up.
"Really?" he exclaimed.
"Go look in the mirror!" I pointed to my left.

Joo Yoon walked to the reflecting glass and a small smile crawled on his face.
"I...kind of like it."
"Great! So do you feel empty now?"
"Surprisingly...no."
I smiled bigger than before and grabbed onto his hand, "And this is just the beginning of your transformation."
He looked puzzled once more, but nodded in excitement.

After I selected a few more of this style and paid proudly with my credit card, we set off down to first floor where restaurants and cafes awaited us. When looking at them, his face was like a kid seeing the shooting star for the first time.
"Anything that stuck out to you, Your Majesty?" I asked.
"I don't know. There's so many!" he answered.
"Hmm..." I squinted further ahead to see an In-N-Out restaurant.
"Just leave it to me." I smiled and he nodded.

                                             *                   *                *
It was only a few hours after our meal, but I couldn't get one scene out of my head.

"Hot dog? How could people even eat it alive?" he gasped with a priceless shocked face.
"Well, we don't really kill a dog and cook it. We just call it 'hot dog' for this sausage in bun. You know, like a nickname."
"And what's that?  A ham...hambaagah?" he stared at the menu above the counter.
I bit my lower lip to keep myself from laughing. I calmly replied, "It's a hamburger."
"Oh." he nodded and turned to a worker at the cashier, "Servant, make me a beef burger if you please. And if it's not bulky enough, please add kimchi."
The lady looked back at him in surprise, "Sir, we don't have kimchi in our menu."
"You don't?"
"This is not a Korean restaurant, sir."
"Well then what in a Sun's core is this?"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
I burst out  laughing which caused Joo Yoon to almost choke on his first Starbucks drink.
"Something the matter, Phelia?" his eyes widened.
"Sorry, Your Majesty." I waved my hand vigorously, "I just thought of the way you ordered your burger."
"Oh," he giggled and wiped his mouth with a napkin.
"So how's your mocha cappuccino?"
"I have no words." he smiled, "It's like the best drink I've ever had."
"Better than the tea you had back in Sun Yang?"
"Well duh!" he threw his head back, "This drink is sick!"
"Well would you look at that?" I winked, "Someone's speaking our language now."
"Guess you've influenced me." he grinned.

I finished my drink and laid on my back to look at the stars. The little jewels were twinkling, just like the refreshed mood I was in at this moment.
"Guess today was not a bad day after all, thanks to you."
"Me? Why?" he asked, slurping his cup.
"You caused trouble at the studio this morning..."
"Phelia, again, I'm so sorry that I..."
"Hey hey! It's okay!" I held out one hand, "You were just anxious, that's all."
"It's just...I shouldn't have come with you."
"On one side, yes, I shouldn't have let you come along. But on another side, I've never felt a new kind of happiness."
"What do you mean?"
"Well...when I met you, I thought that you're my new responsibility besides my work and other things. But today, I realize that I've made a new friend. You're my new happiness, Your Majesty."
I felt him laying down beside me with hands clasped together on his stomach.
"I felt the same way."
I looked at him briefly before looking back up.
"After I met you, I've never felt so...free in my life." he said.

Silence filled the air as both of us watched the decoration in the obsidian sky.
"Oh! That reminds me!" I cut the gap, "Shall I give you a new name?"
"Huh?"
"You know, a casual name. An English name."
"You don't like calling me "Your Majesty"?"
"Well, that's so yesterday. I mean, I want to call you with a better name that suits in this century."
"I guess it's fine." he shrugged.
"I've been saving this name for quite a while actually."
"Really?"
"Yeap." I chuckled, "And it's not a common one either."
"Well, what do you want to call me then?"
"Craedon."
"Cray what?"
"C-R-A-E-D-O-N."
"Sounds unique. I like it."
"Alright!" I pumped my fist in the air.
Craedon laughed and reached out for a napkin. He was leaning to my direction and suddenly stopped super close to my face. We stared into each other's eyes for a few seconds. And before I knew it, his lips crept even closer and touched mine.
I froze for what seemed like forever and cleared my throat, "I...uh...I'm gonna get my water bottle."
I got up and locked myself in my car which was a few feet behind us. As I sat still behind the wheel, my heart pumped a thunderstorm. First we drunk kissed which was an accident. And I was going to apologize to him until he...he...he kissed me...

No comments:

Post a Comment