Monday 21 December 2015

Star of my Seoul (Chapter 5: Wiped Out)

I think....I've lost my human jacket. 
Chapter 5: Wiped Out

Haley thought she was dead. She was surprised to see a blur of light, and her vision shortly cleared up with a fluorescent light above her.
"Haley! You're finally awake!" a familiar voice exclaimed.
Haley turned her head slowly to see her friend and roommate, Layla stared back at her with a smile of relief.
"Where am I?"
"In the hospital."
She immediately remembered the last time she had her eyes opened.

"LOOK OUT!" Jamie quickly steered the wheel but the reckless driver hit them in the blink of an eye.

"Thank God you're okay." Layla said, "I came here as soon as I saw the news."
"Jamie..." she mumbled and suddenly gasped, "Where's Jamie? Is he okay? Did something serious happen to him? What if he got killed?"
She pushed herself to get up but she felt a jolt of pain in her head.
"Haley, you've got to lay down. The doctor said your body is still weak from shock."
Haley rested her head on the pillow, "Did you see Jamie?"
"Yeah, he's in the bed next curtain He hasn't awake yet."

The curtains of the section swept open and entered a doctor with a clipboard in one hand.
"Annyeong Haseyo," he bowed, "Hello, Miss Kang."
"Hello, sir."
"How are you feeling?"
"A little dizzy."
"Your body is still weak. You're probably having a headache right now, so it's best for you to stay back for one night."
"Oh, okay."
"You're lucky that there are no major injuries in your body. Usually people suffered from heavy blood flow or damaged organs in car accidents."
"Uh, excuse me, doctor." Haley coughed, "Is Jamie okay?"
The doctor flipped the paper on the clipboard, "Ah, Song Jae Min? He's fine, but he has received twelve stitches around his head."
"Is there anything serious?"

The doctor looked at her with a concerned look, "We...uh...scanned his whole body. There's no damage in his body but there's a disruption in his brain."
"Disruption?"
"We found out that his recent memories has been wiped out. He has amnesia.".

Haley's eyes widened. So are Layla's.
"H...how did that happened?"
Layla looked at her friend's gobsmacked face. She had never seen her so pitiful.
"His head must have knocked pretty hard on the window when the car got collided."
"But how come Haley's okay?" Layla asked.
"Well, one of my nurses who has helped with the ambulance told me that the car who has hit his direction must have caused a bigger shock to his body."

Haley stared at the ceiling. Tears trickled down from her eyes.
"This...can't be happening."
"Doctor," Layla continued, "Is his amnesia temporary or permanent?"
The doctor's face softened, "It's temporary."
"Oh! Thank goodness!" Haley exhaled heavily.
"However, it takes a week or so for him to recover. And it's not easy to gain his memories back."
"Are all his memories gone?" Haley asked.
"No, not all of them." the doctor replied as he fixed his thick metal glasses, "But his recent ones are."
"That means..."

Haley paused and felt like her heart got pierced by a thousand needles, "Could it be...."
"Haley..." Layla said as she touched her cold hand.
"Could it be...his memories this year are gone?"
"Mostly the ones he had for the past few months." the doctor clarified.
Tears continued to flow. Haley sobbed with small hiccups.
"Can you give us a minute, sir?'
"Absolutely." the doctor answered, "But I'm done here anyways. I'll check back on her in a few hours."
"Kamsahamnida." Layla bowed and sat back. She held Haley's hand and stroked her hair. Haley squeezed her eyes shut as she was drowned in her misery.

                                          *                                       *                                   *
Haley opened her eyes once again. She found herself in a different room.
"Where am I now?" she yawned and pushed herself to sit up. Her head was no longer painful but she felt slightly dizzy.
"Haley?" Layla's voice muffled from the door.
"Yes?"
"Oh, good! You're awake!" Layla entered in with a lunch bag. "The nurses helped you transfer to this room so that you can stay for the night."
"I see."
"Here. I've brought you dinner." she placed the bag on the side table.
"Dinner? Wait a minute, how long have I slept?"
"Let's see," Layla tapped her chin, "You were in a coma for one whole day, and then you slept for four more hours because you cried so hard till you exhaust yourself."
"Omo! For real?"
"Do I ever lie to you?" Layla raised her eyebrow.
Haley shook her head and unzipped the bag. She pulled out two containers and peels the lids off.
"I hope you like homemade kimbap and steamed chicken."
"Oh my, Layla..." Haley gasped, "I've never seen you making these before."
"What do you mean?"
"I always see you making ramen and ready-made jajangmyun."
"Hey, sometimes a typical Korean like me learns how to cook real food."
"Thanks so much though," Haley smiled, "I'll eat them well."
"You better! I couldn't stop worrying about you when I make these!"
Haley laughed and reached her hands out to give her friend a hug.

Haley could felt a wave of energy surging in her body once she filled her stomach with Layla's homemade meal. It was as if the hospital had turned her into a child who wanted attention. She cried till she didn't know how long she had been doing so, and laughed till she hadn't noticed that she had finished the two boxes of happiness in just less than fifteen minutes.

"Layla, these are sooooooo good! You should teach me how to make these someday!" Haley beamed.
"Not a problemo!" Layla smiled back, "Oh! By the way, I heard Jamie's in the next room."

Haley's heart dropped. Her smile faded away once again.
"Hey! Come on, don't give me that long face!" Layla sighed, "I'm sure he will remember you."
"No he won't!" Haley frowned, "You've heard what the doctor said. He has lost the memories he had in the past few months. Who knows, he won't remember the times he had with me at all. He won't even remember me being his girlfriend."
Haley climbed out of the sick bed and slipped on a pair of fuzzy slippers Layla had kindly brought. She walked to the window which was half-opened, "I think...I've lost my human jacket." she said.

"Ya! What happen to the confident, giddy Haley I once know?" Layla said.
"I don't know." Haley sighed, "She thought she has everything. She thought she'll be happy with her first love. But in the end, her love is snatched away from her."
Haley suddenly felt a couple of firm hands held her shoulders. Her body got dragged away from the window and spun to face Layla.
"Listen, you're Kang Hyo Hye aka Haley the most bad-ass writer I've ever known! Don't just give up on one of the biggest parts of your life! You move here all the way from Canada to discover yourself, right? Well, now you have a job, a house thanks to me, and an acceptance for publication for the entire Seoul to read! What else can you say no to? And don't forget that special guy who has made your heart flutter since the beginning!"

Haley looked dumbfounded. Her mind replayed the episode when she and Jamie first met, and then the episode when they walked on the beach, the night when they had their first date, the moments they had together for the past month, and finally the scene when she had her first kiss.

"Are you my human jacket?"
"I guess you can call me that."

"Oppa."
"You've said it! Now I am the happiest man on earth. No, the happiest man in the universe."

"I don't wanna see my beautiful girl go."
"Aww..Jamie. Hopeless romantic."
"When Super Junior released their 10th anniversary album, this song struck me the most. This song, in face, reminds me of our first date."
"Is is because of the stars?"
"Exactly."

"You can help Jamie get his memories back. All you need is time and faith." Layla continued, "And don't worry. I can help you."
"Layla..." Haley mumbled.
"Trust me, Haley. Kang Hyo Hae, the lady who got a damn high education, dropped her job, and flee to her hometown to find a new beginning of her life. That's freaking brave of her! And now's she almost there because she has one mission, that is to save the first guy who has made her happy, and her happiness makes my happiness too." Layla said, "So what do you say?"
Haley grabbed hold on Jamie's arms and smiled, "I'll do it!"
"Atta girl!" Layla beamed.

Haley and Layla walked out of the ward and peeked through the small rectangular glass of the door. Sure enough, Jamie was sitting on the bed but instead of a doctor or a nurse, a lady with black curls and a light pink long-sleeved dress stood next to him.
"Who's that?" Layla asked.
"Not a clue." Haley shrugged.
They gasped when they saw her reaching out one pale hand and touched Jamie's cheek.

"Hey! Hands off my oppa!" Haley thundered as she slammed the door open.
The lady turned back. A shocked look plastered on her face which was covered in heavy makeup.
"Pardon?" the lady asked.
"Who are you? And why are you leaning to Jamie?"
"Oh!" she stood up and smoothed her skirt. She marched to Haley and reached out her hand, "I guess I have to introduce myself. My name's Lee Soo Yeon. I'm an old friend of Jamie's."
"Lee Seul Yeon?" Layla repeated, "Wait a minute. I think I know you."
"Eh?" Haley looked at Layla.
Layla walked and stared at the lady for a whole minute, "Ahhhh....you're the customer who used to come into my store and drank bottles of soju."
"She did what?"
"Well, I recognized her.She used to come over to the convenience store, purchased six bottles of soju, and sat at a corner, drinking like a maniac and screamed about being dumped by her boyfriend. That was like what...three months ago?"
"Holy crap." Haley gasped. She glared at Soo Yeon who wore a fake smile.
"I can't believe you still recognize me." she laughed.
"What are you doing here anyway? Layla asked, "Flirting with a patient?"
"No, I'm just visiting. I haven't seen him since we were separated."
"Oh hell no..." Layla's jaw dropped.

Haley looked at Layla in surprised. She could read her mind just through her reaction.
"You were his girlfriend?" Haley predicted.
"Quite right." Soo Yeon replied. She flipped her hair like a model.
"How long were you two broken up?"
"About three months. But he made a mistake. He's gonna be mine again."
"Ya! Are you f***ing kidding me?" Layla retorted, "You two are no longer together. Get over it!"
"Do I even know you, ahjumma? I know that he regret of breaking up with me."
"I'm sorry, did you just call me an old lady?" Layla roared as she stripped off her coat, "How about if I give you a piece of my mind?"
Haley grabbed her by the wrist, "Don't. You'll make things worse."

"Who are you anyway?" Soo Yeon asked.
Haley cleared her throat, "I'm Haley. Kang Hyo Hae. Jamie's my boyfriend."
"Ah! So you're his new girl."
"Do you know what happened to him?"
"Why, yes. I visited him filming spot this morning and I got the news from the director."
"Stalker." Layla murmured.
"Shush!" Haley hissed.

Haley suddenly spotted Jamie whose eyes opened like a vampire awakened from his tomb.
"Jamie..." Haley uttered.
"Omo!" Soo Yeon squeaked. She walked to the bed and grabbed his left hand, "Are you okay?"
Jamie stared at her for a few minutes, "Do I know you?"
"Why, you silly! It's me, Soo Yeon!"
"Soo Yeon? I've never heard of that name."

Soo Yeon dropped his hand and took a step backward. "What the hell is wrong with you?"
"Don't you know? He has amnesia, he barely remembers you." Haley explained.
"I knew that," Soo Yeon said, "but we had dated for about a year. How come he doesn't even remember me?"
"Maybe it's because he doesn't want to." Layla snickered.
"None of your beeswax!" Soo Yeon barked.

"Can anyone tell me what's going on?" Jamie asked. Haley wanted to cry when she saw a nervous and puzzled look on his face, but she took a deep breath and faced him with a smile, "It's a long story. I don't know where to start."
"Ha! So you're gonna tell him all the way from the beginning when you two had a spark? That's boring." Soo Yeon sniffed.
The woman suddenly yelped. She turned to see Layla wearing a naughty grin that showed her perfect teeth.
"What the f***! Did you just kick me in the butt?"
"Well you deserve it, because no one can ever say such nasty things to my dear friend Haley! So be it and be gone!" Layla replied. She held her right hand into a fist and glared at her new enemy.
"Ugh...fine. I'm outta here anyway." she sashayed. She stopped at the door and batted her mascaraed eyelashes at Jamie, "I'll see you soon."

"Eww...I think I'm gonna throw up!" Layla maligned as soon as she left.
"She has issues." Haley laughed.

 Haley and Layla took a couple of chairs from the closet  near the bed and sat down. Jamie looked at them confusedly but Haley boldly told the time they first met and the story went on. With Layla's help who added Haley's reactions after their dates to the story, they thought that they did a good job with the explanation. Unfortunately, aside from Jamie's open ears, he still had his disappointed face on.
"I'm so sorry, I can't even remember anything." Jamie frowned.
"It's okay, you'll get your memories back someday. I'm sure of it." Haley smiled.
"So what do we do now?"
Haley gazed at the opened window of the room. The sky was a clear obsidian with its stars twinkling. It reminded her the night when they watched the far away city view.
"Let's start all over." Haley suggested.
"I like that." Jamie agreed.

They heard a knock on the door. The doctor came in and was surprised to see Haley.
"Ah, Miss Kang! We've been looking everywhere for you." he said, "We want to check up on you before we can send you home."
"Okay." Haley replied.
"Can I come with her?" Layla asked.
"Absolutely."

Haley was about to walk away when suddenly she felt a tug on the sleeve of her hospital gown. Jamie held onto it and looked at her, "Will I be seeing you again? You're like the only person who knows everything."
Haley smiled and placed her hand over his, "Definitely. We'll get your memory back, I'm sure of it."
Jamie let go off his hand. A smile was formed on his pale face.
Haley went out of the door and paused, "By the way, my name's Haley. That's what you always call me."
"Okay...Haley." Jamie's smile grew.

Don't worry, Oppa. I'll help you recover, no matter what it takes. I want to thank you for all the things you've done for me, but I didn't managed to say it in person. But now, it's my turn to express my gratitude, and I hope you'll receive it. Haley vowed in her heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment