Friday 11 December 2015

Star of my Seoul (Chapter 1: Bookmark of the Encounter)

He took one last glance with a smile. She wondered if this was a dream or a show. 
Chapter 1: Bookmark of the Encounter

"Aigoo, you should have told me earlier! I could have packed my bags to go with you!" Layla whined through the iPhone 5 Haley was holding.
"Hey, I've tried calling you for like five freaking times, but you ignored me!"Haley giggled.
"Well, don't blame me, blame my boss!" Layla sighed, "Apparently Mr. Big Mouth wants me to work eight hours for four days straight this week! I swear, if he gave me something like this again, I'll karate-chop him!"
"Just save your black belt when you got robbed, girl!" Haley laughed. She almost dropped the notebook she had laid on her lap.
"Anyway," Layla said, "I'm so glad you're back! We should hang out sometimes! Since you haven't returned to Seoul in a while, I should take you to all of the places!"
"Yeah, I look forward to it!"
"Ah, I should get some sleep now! I have to wake up at 6am tomorrow, for God's sake."
"Aww, sucks being you."
"You can said that again. Good night! Have fun at Jeju!"
"Thanks! Good night to you too!"

Haley watched as small parties of people gathered at different corners of the campsite. Jeju guesthouse was bustling with chatters and laughter. She wished she could bring her childhood friends with her, but the only voice she heard in her head was "Go travel alone! You get inspired best when you're by yourself!"

I've never felt so free in my whole life, like the soft white sand that brushes against my feet.
Words flowed like a waterfall as she wrote on her notebook. The tourist sanctuary may be noisy, but she was surprised that she could focus on her writing. Maybe it's because of the atmosphere that spread from the barbecue pits to the tents.

She suddenly stopped at her last sentence and felt an odd yet familiar sensation in her mind.
What's next? Why does my head feel blank? Oh...not again!
Writer's block hit her like a brick. She took a deep breath and read through her words. A smile crawled on her face.
This is perfect! Well, for a draft that is.
She looked around again and spotted a guy staring back at her. His black hair stood up as if he had applied gel that morning. He was standing next to a group of six boys who were fanning and turning over skewers of meat on the barbecue grill. Haley quickly looked back at her notebook. She wondered if the guy was spying on her.
Okay, where was I? Urgh...why can't I think of the next line?
She had no choice but to scan around the campsite again for clues to her writing, but the same guy blocked her sight. This time, he waved with a smile. Haley returned a small smile before switching her gaze back to her territory. She suddenly felt her heart pounding.

Haley yawned and checked the time on her phone.
It's only 10:30, maybe I'm still having jet lag after the flight. 
She was about to close her notebook when suddenly a shadow crept on her notebook like a ghost.
"Sillyehabnida..."
"Huh?"
"Oh! You...you can't speak Korean?"
"Um...a little, but not so fluent."
"Ah I see! Sorry bout that!"
"It's cool!"

The guy stood three feet away from where she sat. He couldn't help but looking at her.
"Are you visiting?" he asked shyly.
"Yeah, I'm visiting Jeju Island." she replied, "but I'll be spending a few years in Seoul."
"Oh, really? I'm from Seoul! Which street do you live in?"
"Oh, um, I'm not quite familiar with my new home yet."
"I see."

They stopped talking for a minute or so. Haley continued writing while the guy kept on staring.
"I...I'm Jae Min, by the way. Song Jae Min. But everyone calls me Jamie." he blurted.
"Jamie, huh? Your English name sounds similar to your Korean name."
"Yeah, weird huh?"
"Well, nice to meet you, Jamie. I'm Haley."
"Haley, that's a nice name!" he smiled, "Do you have a Korean name?"
"Of course! It's Kang Hyo Hae!"
"Oh, Hyo Hae! That's a pretty name you got there."
"Thanks."
"I hope you don't mind but, it's starting to get really smoky there."
"What do you mean?"

Jamie pointed at the barbecue pit where his friends were still making the skewers.
"There were smoke everywhere over there and I need some fresh air. Mind if I sit here with you for a little while?"
"Oh! Yeah sure! I don't mind having company." Haley smiled. Suddenly, in her mind shouted a regretful voice, "Haley, you can't focus on your writing when someone's with you!"
But it was too late. Jamie sat on the ground next to Haley and crossed his legs. He inhaled deeply and exhaled with a satisfied grin, "Ahhh, that's better!"
Haley giggled, and continued on her writing. However, her pen wouldn't move.
"What you're working on?" Jamie asked.
"Oh! Just a story."
"A story? Wow! Are you a writer?"
"Well, an aspiring writer, actually." she replied, "I worked for a newspaper press back in Vancouver, but I write fiction during my free time."
"That's amazing!" he exclaimed, "Then, why are you here in Korea? Are you on a vacation?"
"No, I'm gonna be here for a few years."

Jamie threw his head back, "Oh! Right! You told me that!"
"Yeah, I might be working for Seoultizen magazine."
"Seoultizen? As in one of Korea's biggest magazine brands ever?"
Haley nodded and looked at him, puzzled, "Why are you surprised?"
"Nothing, I just heard that Seoultizen is a pretty tough company to get in."
"Well, you're talking to a professional who won't give up on her plans." Haley winked.
"Bold. But you have to be able to keep up with the super tight deadlines. The magazines always have top-notch articles."
"I'm a wizard at that!" Haley laughed.
"Oh, really?"
"What? Are you testing me?"
"Nothing, I'm just saying."

Haley realized that she was no longer yawning. Talking to Jamie actually felt kind of good. She knew that she needed a refresher from all the drafting.

"Hey! Mind if I read what you wrote?"
Haley pulled her notebook close to her chest, "But it's not finished."
"Oh! Come on! I thought you said you're a professional."
"Yeah, professional in my job, but not the content itself. It takes time to get a masterpiece done."
"Well, looking from here, I really want to know what you wrote."
Haley's eyes were fixed onto Jamie's gentle brown eyes. Mesmerized by honesty written on his face, Haley handed her book to Jamie.

Haley looked around to watch the tourists having the time of their lives under the starry night sky. She would take short glances at Jamie who buried his nose with her notebook. Three minutes later, Jamie put the book down with an amazed look.
"I've never read anything like this! This is awesome!"
"Really? Gee, thanks!"
"It's so poetic! And it's like...I'm actually in that scene!"
Haley blushed. She couldn't stop smiling.

Jamie handed the book back, "Keep it up!"
"Thanks again." Haley replied, "Are you a writer too?"
"Um..not really. I'm more of an actor."
"Oh! You act? As in Korean dramas?"
"Well, yeah, but I always play minor roles."
"That sounds cool! Are you popular?"
"Duh!" he laughed, "but...not as popular as the big celebrities you find on Soompi articles."
Haley laughed louder than before, "I see."

"Hey, Haley?"
"Yeah?"
"I know that...well...we just met...but...do you wanna go for a cup of coffee sometimes?"
Haley could feel her heart did triple somersaults. Not only her cheeks hurt, but her whole body was smiling, "Yeah, I guess so."
"Great! Let's exchange phone numbers!" Jamie said, relieved.
They switched phones and dialed in their numbers on each other's contact list. Haley's heart thundered madly. It was a feeling she had never felt before.
After they switched their phones back, Jamie's friends called him over.
"Oh! Looks like the skewers are finally ready! They must have been making a bunch!" he said.
"Are you guys having a party?"
"Yeah, we're having a welcome party. Since we just started a new drama together, our manager thinks that we should get to know one another over barbecue."
"Sounds fun."
"You wanna join us? We probably can add in one more hungry person."
"No, I think I'm good. I have to continue on my writing anyways."
"Alright then." Jamie nodded and got up to his feet, "I...uh...I'll call you sometime, okay?"
"Yeah, absolutely!"
Jamie suddenly shifted his feet to a very far end of the campsite and picked up a dried brown leaf from the bottom of a bald tree. He then held the leaf right in front of her, "Your notebook seems really thick and you'll probably have a hard time finding a blank page, so maybe this will help."
Haley looked at the leaf and took it. Her fingers brushed gently against his hand.
"But it's just a leaf." she uttered.
"I know, but a small thing like this can be used as a tab to help you keep track. You know, like a bookmark. A supporter."
"Thank you. I'll keep it here then." she smiled while slipping the leaf between two blank pages.

"Well, it's great talking to you." Haley said. She got up with her notebook and pen clutched in her hands.
"You...gonna go to bed?"
"Yeah, I remember that I'm gonna go horseback riding at the beach tomorrow."
"Oh! That sounds fun!"
"What about you? Do you have plans tomorrow?"
"Yeah, my team and I will be shooting the first episode somewhere at the beach. I really look forward to that!"
"Maybe I might bump into you there." she winked.
"We'll see." Jamie laughed.

"Jamie! Jae Min! Pali! Pali!" one of the people in the circle called.
"I think they're asking you to hurry up." Haley said.
"Yeah, I've gotta go. Good night, Haley! I'll see you around."he waved.
"Yeah, good night to you too!"

Haley turned to unzip her tent. She swiveled her head to peek at the guy with gorgeous hair who bounced energetically to his team. He grabbed a skewer from one of the cast and turned back. He took one last glance with a smile. She wondered if it was a dream or a show.
"Jamie." Haley murmured. She immediately put her things away and slipped into her sleeping bag, hoping to dream about the conversation once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment