Tuesday 16 September 2014

Sailor Jupiter Moves Out! (characterization scene for Intro to Writing Fiction class)

Sailor Jupiter Moves Out!
I feel like a needle removed from my heart. I am in my room, tyingmy long black hair into a high ponytail while hoping to look like the girl in green in the anime Sailor Moon. Then, I scan a list of things saved in my brain while folding some clothes. Suddenly, I spot an old green shirt. Slowly, I run my black-polished nails on the soft fabric and a flashback immediately appears in my head like a computer being switched on.
I was a twelve-year-old finalist at a national karate competition, and I was afraid that I might lose. My mother saw me practicing at our backyard the day before the competition, and she decided to take me to the nearest mall for a breather.
“Does Sailor Jupiter go shopping when she feels stressed?” she asked.
“I’m not sure…she likes girly things though. She feels excited when she sees a cute dress but she doesn’t have that much money to buy it.” I replied.
“Well, I believe Sailor Jupiter needs a little more than just looking at cute dresses.” she chuckled.
We passed by a department store and my eyes caught a mannequin wearing a green T-shirt with “Stay Strong” written on it. It was a perfect combination of tomboy-ness and girly-ness! I believe that green is a tomboy colour and sequins are a symbol of feminism. Mom seemed to read my mind instantly, because the next thing I knew, she walked to the shelf, chose one of the shirts with my size (medium), and walked to the counter to pay for it! Isn’t she the greatest mother in the whole world or what? I got a little teary when she presented the shirt to me. “I believe that you will kick butt tomorrow!” she said with her dark brown eyes twinkled with faith.And she was right. I felt Sailor Jupiter’s lightning power electrifying my adrenaline as I wrestled to glory.
Mom, if you can hear me, I want to spread my own wings and to build my nest in a whole new world. Not only I want to start a new chapter of my personal memoir, but also to start a journey that will remind me of you. Everything’s okay now. Don’t worry.
I realize that time is running out so I quickly fold the shirt up. After I put the clothes in my luggage, I seean orange feather lying on the floor. It must have stuck on one of my shoes in a cockfight matchtwo weeks ago. As I pick it up, I can smell a faint stench of chicken blood. It is a good thing the cockfight matches my stepfather hosted is banned for good. The eventstill haunts me like a horror movie, but when I move to Canada, I’ll have the guts to replay it.
Another flashback appears that begins with him saying, “A chicken is clueless enough to know when it will die.” I believe he referred this to my mother whom he had murdered the day after the match. My temper meter reached to its peak. I wished I could cry but I was fuming. I snapped back at him, “You’re wrong! My mom’s not the chicken! You are! You want all of the money to yourself and not us!” “Well, you can’t do anything to stop me,” he said, because you’re a chicken too!” He then pulled out a gun from his jeans pocket. He was about to shoot when I suddenly dodged away and grabbed hold of his hand. With a quick move illustrated automatically in my head, I kicked him in the stomach and punched his face with my fist. I then snatched the gun and pointed at him, “I bet you don’t know that I have a black belt in karate, asshole! And by the way, you’re no longer needed!”

Suddenly, my iPhone 5 rings its notification sound that startles me. The flashback stops like a freeze spell. Every part of my body feels like being surrounded by Sailor Jupiter’s “Flower Hurricane” attack, excitedly celebrating with my soul for escaping this place I once call home. The memories of my past may wake me up like a nightmare, but I vow to God that I will replace them with new ones, starting now. Before I get into my friend Solange’sLandcruiser, I throw the feather into the garbage can and watch it sink gracefully down, erasing away a piece of my stepfather.9 

No comments:

Post a Comment