Saturday 23 August 2014

Wings of a Lifetime

Author's Note: Hey, I just came back to Vancouver this morning and damn...the jet lag is killing me but I promise I'll sleep early tonight! Anyway, I begin to like travelling alone all the way from Canada to Malaysia and vice versa. And as soon as I stop by at Narita Airport in Tokyo, I plan that I should do more individual travels to experience unique things of different countried on my own, especially in Tokyo which is one of my dream places to go to. And funny that, as soon as I wrote this poem on a notebook during my flight from Tokyo to Vancouver, a Japanese air-stewardess first asked me in Japanese (which I can't understand because I only have learnt the basics) and then she spotted my poem before she changed her mind to ask me in English. I want to laught it off, but then it might be rude. =P 


Wings of a Lifetime
Written By: Michele Hii

I am in the body
of a mechanical eagle.
It is neither a moist digestive tract
nor a tunnel to a world of darkness.
The body of this bird
is a barrier of metal;
carrying its guests away from natural storm.

Sitting near a window
where one of its featherless wings is located.
I nominate this seat
as my ideal spot.
The aura of excitement that sprint through my veins
connect to the organ beside me
like mesmerizing bond.

The rectangular glass
is my world telescope.
The cities below the bird
are apparently mazes of squares,
glazed by a cluster of electronic stars.
Street lights become a twinkling stream
like a path to a fantasy realm.
As the bird soars,
the earth looks like a miniscule island in a snow globe.

I’ve never felt this alive
as the bird floats beneath the clouds.
With myself as an explorer,
I am ready to inhale
the air of a new country.
Unique treasure I long to see
and I’ll never regret this experience.

Travel is a gift.
Chances are gemstones.
I’ll wait to earn a ticket
to a dimension where I’ll be marking
a future page of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment