Tuesday 16 September 2014

It's Just Me, So Deal With It (new post on body image/health)

Hey, guys! I know it's been weeks since I've posted a new entry on my blog! I've been really busy with my assignments even though it's not nearly midterm. I like the courses I take this semester so far. The second half of Basic Japanese course gets a little harder because of the new "Kanji" characters. It's like writing Chinese spelling homework back in elementary school all over again, but I know that I have to try my best to memorize those new ones. Another thing I struggle is the conversation lab. It seems that I've forgotten most of the conversation tips I've learnt back in Basic Japanese I. Hopefully I'll find time to catch up with my Japanese speaking skills...As for Creative Writing: Intro to Writing Fiction, I find it as challenging as the other courses I've taken. I'm surprised that I've finally found inspiration to write stories, thanks to Sailor Mon Crystal. So I've submitted my first fiction assignment, and I've posted a copy somewhere in my blog. If you want to read it, you can check it out on my blog archive on the top right corner. Anyway, I find this course an opportunity to set my imagination re-sparked. I'm looking forward to use my new fiction character (Phenile who idolizes Sailor Jupiter) in my future assignments. And finally, Intercultural Communication has been pretty interesting so far. The course offers chances to get to know various cultures in great depth as well as to allow us to explore ourselves in terms of culture.

Anyway, you might wonder why I post the picture above. I got this from Facebook and I know that I have to say something about this picture. Blogilates (Cassey Ho) shared through the photo that she was struggling with body confidence when she was young and she had the same reaction as the girl above, wanting to cut off her belly fat. This is something I can definitely relate to. If you've read my previous posts, you would remember that I, too, struggle with body image and I'm still doing Blogilates' workouts six times every week, Of course, there's no immediate result in my stomach but surprisingly, the workouts really help toning up my  arms and legs! I'm gonna work harder to lose belly fat, oh world, you just wait and see!

Same as the girl above, I have lack of confidence in my body when I was little. There were a lot of people including my family who called me skinny. Even my grandma who was "Miss Perfect" commented on my skinny-ness with a straight face. Trust me, when I was a kid, I was a girl with a small, weak frame. But as I reached puberty, my appetite increased dramatically and I began to grow taller. Unfortunately, an excessive amount of stubborn fat always got in my way. And yes, my grandma and other people ended up calling me fat. So yes, in my whole life, I've never received a single comment that I'e grown slim or pretty. Sometimes I wish I can just go for surgery to remove all that fat, but it's not possible.

As I follow Cassey Ho's Youtube Channel and her Blogilates community, I realize that it doesn't matter on what other freaking people think about me. Life is all about hard work and believe in change. Good moments will come and I'll find my happiness through my own skin. I may still don't have a perfect stomach, but I'm still going to exercise in the proud name of sweat!

Imagine that you are the girl in the picture. Would you realize that life is over or life is a new beginning for you to start a change? Kids nowadays are obsessed with body image, including mimicking skeleton figures from celebrities and fashion models. This has got to stop! Not everyone can be happy when they're being skinny! Why does it matter? To attract bad boys? You don't have to be scrawny or sexy or perfect in order to live your life! Think about what makes you...you! Think about the things, people, and surroundings that make you feel welcome. Body image is something we should not paying too much attention to. If you think Barbie doll figures are worth it and the picture above disgusts you instead of being sympathetic, then you should just move along. I'm not gonna judge. I just want to give a  message to those who face the same issues as I do in terms of finding confidence in physical appearance. You are perfect just to way you are. You don't have to hurt yourself in order to get the change you want. It takes time and love to find the life you want.

If you're jealous of the people around you who have beautiful bodies or America's Top Model figures, that is totally normal. I'm jealous of my sisters' and my girlfriends' hourglass figures too, but I learn that comparing yourself to other people is not too healthy. You just have to be you, and that's even more worthy! If you want change, find the time and inspiration to work hard. Eventually, your positive attitude and infinite hope will inspire other people too!

No comments:

Post a Comment