Saturday 16 August 2014

Congratulations! 15 years of girl power and faith in Christ!

If you've followed this blog and also my memoir blog for a while, you'll probably know that I was a member of the Girls' Brigade back in my childhood years. Girls' Brigade is an international organization to take girls on a journey to be headstrong women for the future and of course to become followers of Jesus Christ. Through eight years of joining the community, I had learnt so many things that I quite forgot how to cook the dishes I had learnt back then and I am still helpless in tying a necktie. But, without the Girls' Brigade, I've learnt that discipline is important; it is meant to be taught and trained since young. One of the speakers tonight said that marching/drill practice is taught among all girls and even six years olds can learn how to raise their foot up while marching. And imagine that the officers are always there for the girls and they nurture them as godmothers. Trust me, even as an ex-member, I still never forget the love they have summoned in my life.

So, you might wonder what's up with the title of this post. Well, I'm happy to announce that Girls' Brigade (5th KK company) is now 15 years old! I'm impressed that Girls' Brigade is still standing solid. I followed a neighbour who was also an officer of the Girls' Brigade to Shern En Methodist Church, and wow, the church is still the same as before. And as I stepped into the building, I encountered the officers once again after a long period of separation. Well, they still look the same to me. LOL. I was even greeted with open arms when I saw former captain Madame Kiu. Gosh! The feels!

So, the anniversary was pretty much like all other events I had been to back when I was a member. Praise & Worship session, speeches, performances, and refreshments at the end. The theme of this year's anniversary was called "A Better Me" and I think it was to tell us that we as God's people are meant to be built up to become more confident in life or to become more useful for the Lord.

The photos I took with my smartphone are not zoomed in so I won't be posting all of them here. Most of the photos I took are performances by the member of various age groups from kids to teens to ex-members who are having a break from universities. Oh! What do we have here?
I don't know whether this is big enough for your eyeballs but the picture above is when the officers and some honorable guests celebrated with an anniversary cake.

One thing that I couldn't believe was that I hadn't had dinner, so I had to hold on to my growling stomach until the end of the event for supper to come to my rescue. Surprisingly, the mouth-watering cupcakes and brownies and pieces of the anniversary cake was good enough for my hunger to subside. And it was great to have small talk with the officers. It was like visiting the past after travelling through Cornelius Robinson's time machine.

If you're reading this and happens to be one of the people in the anniversary, I just want to say I'm happy to join you all. This event will probably be featured in my memoir (I don't know whether my biographical book will be my first book, but we'll see). And to the officers, I know I don't have the time to say goodbye because it was getting late, but I would like to have a chance to say thank you for having me over and also I hope you enjoy the gift I've left for you and your girls. I'll definitely come back when I return for my next summer vacation. Once again, happy 15th birthday to you, Girls' Brigade 5th KK company! Keep learning new things, growing in life, and pursuing the Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment