Sunday 12 January 2014

Kudos to Lizzie Velasquez!

I wonder if you guys have heard of Lizzie Velasquez? She was once called the World's Ugliest Woman due to a very rare disease since birth, but she is now saluted by many people because of her courage to stand before haters. I am inspired by her jovial and hopeful personality. Through these two Youtube videos (which I've posted the links below), she shares the audience in TED talks about her life of being bullied and how she overcame the obstacles she faced throughout her childhood.

Lizzie Velasquez's Youtube videos of her motivational speeches:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sohGDfNQV7M
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c62Aqdlzvqk

I agree with her a lot. Physical appearance is not to be judged too heavily; inner beauty (personality, attitude, will, dreams...) is more important. Face it! If a guy dates a woman who eats his heart by her physical beauty but secretly disgusts him due to her rudeness or any negative attitudes, then what's the big deal of hanging out with her?

I'm proud of what she has achieved so far. She really has made her dreams come true, like graduating from university and publishing her inspirational books about real definition of beauty. I'm thinking of buying one of her books someday. I love reading creative non-fiction as well as inspirational stories from people, so I'm looking forward of going to the nearest bookstore, maneuvering for books that interest me in getting to know more of interesting lives of various people. (But that doesn't mean I've lost my obsession in girly fairy magic and Disney fantasy because I still have my novel series waiting for me to finish.)

Lizzie and I are on the same boat; we both have experienced the pain of being bullied. And I'm happy that she ignore the negative comments from the haters because that's what a strong person would do, like Demi Lovato who proudly shows her motto "Stay Strong" on her tattooed wrist. I'm also glad that I'm alive as well, because without the love and support from my family and friends (especially the ones back home in Malaysia), I wouldn't be here in Canada chasing my dreams of becoming a writer. And yes, I'm still concerning of what would I be and journalism is still floating in a lake, waiting to be raised up by my hope-to-be-aroused confidence, but I have this desire in listening and writing about other people's personal stories about significant events they treasure. If only I can be a journalist, I would like to meet Lizzie and to write about her amazing contributions to public.

What I also like about Lizzie is that she has self confidence in her body. Yes, she is unable to gain weight but I'm jealous of her for eating delicious sugary food. And believe me I wish I can lose at least a few pounds and gain my skinny body back (back to when I was an elementary student). I don't know why but I wish I can be skinny once again. However, I guess I can't fulfill this dark desire because of my stressful late-night studying and craving for sugar. I even wish that there's a surgical way to remove all the unnecessary fat. I'm even disappointed in myself for not working harder in losing weight even though I do pilates and cardio workouts with Cassey Ho in her Blogilates Youtube channel every day. What is wrong with me? Maybe I don't have confidence in my physical flesh because I look fatter than my slim sisters. Lizzie stood up and advised her fans to love yourself, stay healthy, and be happy. I guess she's right, I shouldn't complain about my physical look but focus on what I want to do in the only life I live.

Lizzie Velasquez, if you're reading this, I just want to say thanks so much for inspiring me and the rest of your followers (probably the whole world) for not giving up in life. You are right that words from haters  are not to describe you, but to motivate you to blossom into a beautiful flower under the sunlight. You are indeed a beautiful lady inside and outside. Keep doing what you're doing. =)

Btw, check out her interview with Dr.Drew here:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2202512/Worlds-ugliest-woman-Lizzie-Velasquez-gives-courageous-interview.html

No comments:

Post a Comment