Sunday 15 September 2013

My favourite hymn "God hath not promised skies always blue"

" 1. God hath not promised always blue,
Flower-strewn pathways all our lives through;
God hath not promised sun without rain,
Joy without sorrow, peace without pain.

Chorus: But God hath promised strength for the day,
             Rest for the labor, light for the way,
            Grace for the trials, help from above
            Unfailing sympathy, undying love.

   2. God hath not promised we shall not know
       Toil and temptation, trouble and woe;
       He hath not told us we shall not bear
      Many a burden, many a care.

  3. God hath not promised smooth roads and wide,
      Swift, easy travel, needing no guide;
     Never a mountain, rocky and steep,
     Never a river, turbid and deep. "

This hymn is taken from Greater Vancouver Young People's Songbook (hymn no. 128)

I wonder how many of you who read this blog are Christians, especially those who are in the church life (for the Lord's recovery). I would like to share this hymn with you all, because this is my favourite hymn. I first get to know this hymn when I was browsing through Youtube back in my Taylor College days (Subang Jaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia) in the year 2011. I watched this video posted from a brother who played this hymn with his guitar (quite well actually, but I forgot his name). I couldn't remember his background well, but I think he was a former soldier or something (or navy?). Through his playing and his voice, I could tell that this brother loved the Lord. This tune caught in my head from that day onwards, and it faded for a while. Then, this hymn came back to me again when I arrived in Vancouver six months later. I joined the large Young People meetings there, and I couldn't help enjoying this hymn. The tune (new tune) was so melodious and the lyrics were so poetic. I sometimes forced myself to open  my mouth to call out this hymn to be sung in home  meetings, and I always shook with excitement and satisfaction when we got to sing it.

If you're Christians but not in the church life like I do, then I recommend you to listen to this hymn. In fact, everyone should listen to this! This hymn helps me to go through dark times. I'm writing notes for Psychology, but due to a cold I'm catching, I can't concentrate entirely. My favourite hymn suddenly came to my head, and I have the urge to share this with you guys. =)
Here's a Youtube video that covers this hymn:
   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8P75mvWH_k

And here's the instrumental tune together with the lyrics like the ones above:
http://www.hymnal.net/en/hymn.php/nt/720

In case you're curious about the writer of this hymn:
http://onthejourney7.blogspot.ca/2012/07/what-god-hath-promised-annie-johnson.html
I wonder who's the blogger? =)

No comments:

Post a Comment