Tuesday 23 August 2016

Michele's TOP 3 PLACES IN SUMMER VACATION 2016

Hey, all! I've been wanting to post something like this ever since I came back from my three weeks trip to Korea and Japan last month but since I got distracted by my novel writing, I hardly had the time/ heart to review the entire trip. But now that I've come to the last chapter of "Modern Prince" which I will definitely finish before September, I've come up with three places that I've found the most tourist-worthy places to visit.

Keep in mind that this is just based on my opinions and it's not according to online reviews or ratings!

3. Busan, South Korea

Even though at that time I didn't take a lot of photos because I forgot to save most of them from Snapchat, I still think that Busan is a city tourists must go to when in South Korea.
Reasons?
a) The temples in Busan are a kind of tourist attraction you wouldn't want to miss! I took the picture above from Haedong Yonggungsa. It's a Buddhist temple "built in 1376 by the teacher known as Naong during the Goryeo Dynasty" (Wikipedia). The temple is different from the others I've seen because it's located near a beach. That moment when I passed by statues of the 12 Chinese zodiac animals and the steep steps up a hill to reach to the cliff where the view of the gigantic religious institution was revealed, the whole place was literally packed with people and I had no idea what was the special occasion that day. Still, it was a beautiful, mystical place.
b) The beaches in Busan are clean with white soft sand and blue rolling waves. And again, I took some photos of a couple of beaches on Snapchat, but I forgot to save them. :P
c) This Lotte Duty Free mall (Gwangbok branch) has a wide variety of stores you'll definitely get lost into. From "domestic and international brands" of clothing and accessories to the latest "high-tech gadgets", you'll definitely shop till your drop (Wikipedia).
Fun fact: The mall has the "world's largest indoor musical fountain", and you can find it once you went through the entrance of the mall (Wikipedia)!The only place I remember going to in this gigantic building is the food court! Speaking of food court...

d) Korean food in KOREA ITSELF is a must! And that includes black bean sauce noodles, Jajangmyun! If you quickly mix the sauce that was on top of the clump of yellow noodles, you'll definitely savour it in no time! I've been a big fan of this dish for a while now and eating this in Lotte Mall is just a dream come true. :P


e) Korea is famous for Naengmyeon (cold noodles) and Busan is known as one of the cities who has the best Naengmyeon in the world! You wouldn't want to drop the opportunity of slurping the icy cold thin glass noodles with a kind of red paste on the side for a spicy kick to it! Trust me! It's the best!


2. Osaka, Japan
Of course! I have to choose at least one city from Japan since I was there for about two weeks so Osaka would be my best pick. Why? Well, let's say the food and tourist attaction are one of the best I've ever seen in my life.





a) On my first night in Osaka, I met up with a friend and we went to this famous Okonomiyaki (Japanese savoury pancakes) restaurant called Okonomiyaki Momoji in Tanimachi area. It was just a few minutes by transit from the AirBNB apartment my family and I stayed in Uehonmachi. The reason why the okonomiyaki in this restaurant is different from the ones I have tried back in Japanese restaurants in Vancouver is because the pancakes are made out of egg batters mixed with yakisoba noodles! Whoever came up with this idea is genius! I mean, just look at the finished products done by the chef in the photo above! Your mouth will sure water!

b) The next afternoon, my family and I passed by this One Piece themed store selling curry with rice dishes (Coco Ichibanya)! It looked inviting so we thought we should give it a try. And we didn't regretted it because the curry was delicious enough to satisfy your taste buds together with the various add-ons like the potato croquettes in the photo above! You should try at least once! It's a    no-miss! Unless you're a big One Piece fan and you only want to drool over the anime characters on the menus...=.=




c) Behold! Shinsekai! Also known as "new world" if translated in English.

There is a creepy yet interesting story behind this tourist attraction! It was once known as the most dangerous city in Osaka! Here's the link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shinsekai

Shinsekai is a small, unique city with gigantic signboards on stores (from seafood restaurants to the sumo-size served restaurant) that accompanied the one and only Tsutenkaku Tower!


This tower was special because once you went in, you would find yourself in a whole new world! The tower was a Glico product paradise! Glico! Sound familiar? Hint: Pocky!


Again, I'd taken a lot on Snapchat but I forgot to save them all. The photo above was literally a Pocky stick! The longest size green tea Pocky stick! That's insane!
Anyway, the tower included a souvenir/merchandise store at the first floor, then a museum of a Japanese superhero called Kinnikuman (I had no idea who he was) with souvenirs to buy. And then, you would be led to an elevator where you would go up to the observatory at the fourth floor and a museum at the fifth floor.Not only you could see the whole of Osaka, you could also get to know the story of Japan's god named Billiken. This little statue with a smiling baby face was Osaka's good luck charm in a lot of things like career, family, and love. There was also a Pocky museum and cafe at third floor where you could finally sit down and relax with some of these super-long Pocky sticks!

d) MATCHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!! And more matcha!!!!!

That's right! Japan is the world's green tea paradise! There was literally matcha-flavoured ice cream and snacks/desserts EVERYWHERE! I was thrilled when I got this matcha soft-serve ice cream while walking up to Osaka Castle through the spacious park (which we didn't go in because there were too many people) and it was OMG the best one I had ever tasted in my life!

If you're interested, here's the link about Osaka Castle: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osaka_Castle

e) And last but not least, Namba city! also known as the "Minami" (south) city of Osaka (Wikipedia).
Namba is known for lively night atmospheres with brilliant lighting (including gigantic signboards at Dotonbori and Shinsabashi area) and lots of good food! It was hard to pick one, but we managed to go in this special ramen store where you can pay at this coin machine instead of paying after your meal with a waiter! (and again I forgot to save pictures :P).
http://theculturetrip.com/asia/japan/articles/the-top-10-things-to-do-and-see-in-minami-and-namba/

And finally, I've saved the best place for last!
1. Seoul, South Korea
Even though we were only in Seoul for two days, I had to put this at the top of my list because I saw my favourite K-pop group, Super Junior, on signs and stores wherever I went! The Jeju Samdasoo mineral water commercial signboard was the first one I saw. :P

Okay..I know what you're thinking. Why would I pick Seoul because of just K-pop and not the food or tourist attractions or scenery. Seoul, to me, is one of the most unique, gorgeous places I'd ever seen in my life! No joke! Not just that it's a vibrant urban city, but also a food paradise, convenient transportation, affordable shopping, and gorgeous landscapes.


a) If you a K-pop fan like me, you definitely wouldn't want to miss the endless merchandise here! I forgot the name of the area but my family and I were walking up a hillside residence called Bukchon Hanon village while looking for the iconic palace scenery and we passed by some stores that sell K-pop stuff. As I passed by one with Descendants of the Sun merchandise displaying proudly on a table near the entrance, an old lady immediately appeared, like she knew that I was a Korean entertainment addict, and persuaded me with the Song Joo Ki (pardon me if I say his name wrong because I'm not a fan of that drama), "Do you like Song Joo Ki?". I shook my head and giggled, "Not really." She then put it down and I quickly pointed out, "Super Junior?" Her face lit up and led me into her store. From underneath a K-pop poster stacked table, she pulled out a box of Super Junior merchandise and showed me a 2016+2017 calendar, notebooks, file holders, posters, and stickers. Since I didn't want my room to be all glued up with huge pictures till it'll end up like a gallery museum, I decided to buy a notebook (see pic above) and paid 5000 won for it.
I was about to leave when she persuaded me to buy more. She bargained the calender for 10000 won and I hesitated a little because even though I had enough money to spend for my four-day trip in Korea, I wouldn't want to overspend. Still, she kept pointing at the notebook with a convincing smile. And in the end, I gave in and bought the calendar. I mean, hey, it's Seoul! The birthplace of K-pop!
After making the two Super Junior stationery as my own (WEEEEEEE at last!), I bowed and said, "Kamsahamnida" and she waved back. Even when I turned back after catching up with my family from a few stores ahead, she was still there waving at me. How sweet was that? ^^

And so now I have three Super Junior souvenirs. :P The postcards in the pic above were a birthday gift /I got last year.


Links for more info on K-pop merchandise:



b) Faces of K-pop stars were literally everywhere. And I mean, EVERYWHERE! No matter where you go, you will recognize the Korean idols in advertisements and posters that highlight the global popularity of Korean culture.
I found this poster of Hammock Nap Cafe after I finished bibimbap for lunch at a restaurant downstairs. It turned out that Super Junior M's Eunhyuk and Donghae were in this cafe upstairs for a Chinese/Korean variety show called "Guest House"! I'd watched that show before! And I regretted for not noticing the poster earlier! :( I should have gone upstairs to check it out! And yes...to take a nap. :P
Link for more info on the Hammock Nap Cafe: http://dwaejiinseoul.blogspot.my/2015/03/cafe-nazzzam-hammock-cafe-gyedong.html


c) Oddly, I can't find the photos of food I'd taken in Seoul, so this is the only photo I can share to represent Seoul.(Yes yes I know, I am a terrible travel photographer hehe XP)
Anyway! The drink in the photo was a barley drink called sikhye (shik-hay) . It's perfect to cool your throats down on a hot summer day! You will love its cool, refreshing, sweet taste! I heard it takes days to make this and Koreans serve this on special occasions. Trust me! This is a Korean specialty you would not want to miss!


d) Finally! For K-pop fans! If you have done research on your favourite Korean stars doing their own business in shops, cafes, hotels, gyms, schools, or any other leisure places in Seoul, you have to drop by to visit! It's an experience you would not forget!
Boy! K-pop stars sure are productive! :D
After months of dreaming of going to Kyuhyun's "Mom House" hostel combined with "Deete Espresso" cafe, I'd finally (and I mean FINALLY) visited it! It was located around Myeongdong and it was a short walking distance from the train station. Once I noticed the colourful sign on top of the hostel building and then the black-walled cafe at the bottom, I squealed like crazy! I tried to collect my composure, but as my family rolled their eyes and went in the cafe to grab something to drink, I knew exactly where to drop by first.
You see, if you'd followed me on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, or Vyrl, you would know that I planned a fan project for Kyuhyun, my ultimate bias in Super Junior. And within a week before the dateline, I'd received about 20 (or was it 30?) messages from fans in Mexico, Egypt, the Philippines, Indonesia, Malaysia, and Singapore. A week before my flight, I used Google Translate to convert from English to Korean. Copying the Korean characters was actually fun. With each message written down on folded papers, I hoped that Kyuhyun would receive them with a happy heart.


Anyway, I had a funny, embarrassing moment when I was in the cafe AND up the rooftop of the hostel while slipping my envelope with the fan project in Kyuhyun's mailbox! I'll leave the links of Kyuhyun's fan project details as well as my story at the cafe here:
From ELF to Kyu's Mailbox (June 2016)
The Day The Fan Project Is Delivered

Long story short, after I got the Matcha Frappe (pic above), I got distracted by the giant screen on my right where Kyuhyun's "A Million Pieces" MV was shown. I suddenly looked down and saw a familiar woman with black curls. I gasped and realized that it was Kyuhyun's mom! And then when I found out that my black polarized shades were missing, I checked all over the rooftop again but couldn't find it. So I went down the elevator and at the 2nd floor, a man in a black suit and glasses came in. I went out when he called me that it was not ground floor yet. So I went back in and realized that the man who just warned me about the wrong floor was Kyuhyun's Dad! His phone buzzed out "A Million Pieces" ringtone, and he just went out to answer the phone call...
Yeap, I was super blind...and I didn't even say to them that I'm a big fan of their handsome, adorable, talented son...GODDAMIT!
Oh well...at least I saw his parents in person! And the cafe was really nice! There were literally a whole lot of Kyuhyun's gifts and fan art all over the display cases, shelves, and bulletin boards!

And...I sneaked my iPhone to take a pic of his mom...XP...sorry Kyuhyun! Fangirl goals...hehehe!

I'll definitely will come by to Korea and Japan to visit again! These whole two months were an exciting series of fun and relaxation!
And who knows? I might come up with another Super Junior fan project? ;) So, my fellow K-pop followers, watch out! :D XD
Hope you enjoy reading this post and have a good day! <3



No comments:

Post a Comment